From Music Hack Day
Find out more about the artists mentioned in the page you're viewing.
Niko Felger, Phil Cowans.
 About the hack
A quick Chrome extension to extract artist names from the page you're viewing and pull up more data:
- stats from Musicmetric,
- tour dates from Songkick,
- artist images from Last.fm,
- audio players from Soundcloud.
 Technology used
- Lingpipe for named entity extraction
- Boilerpipe for article text extraction
- Backbone.js for the extension and its back-end
There are no (useful) READMEs or instructions so far (hey! it's a hack, amirite?), and we didn't have time to get the backend hosted somewhere. If you want to have a go, it shouldn't be to hard to get set up. Just follow these steps, which I wrote in about 2 minutes, so is probably entirely unhelpful and wrong:
 The backend
- Get you an rvm if you don't have one already: https://rvm.beginrescueend.com/
- Install JRuby: `rvm install jruby-1.5.6`
- `git clone https://github.com/nfelger/artistractor`
- In the project directory, do `bundle install`
- Run it on localhost:3000, e.g. by `bundle exec glassfish`
 The Chrome extension
- `git clone https://github.com/nfelger/tractor`
- Install the extension according to step 4 in http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/getstarted.html#load