From Music Hack Day
 Songs and playlist generation for Valentine's day
 The Name of your hack
Send love with music! Create a playlist of relevant songs for your Valentine via web or phone.
- Amélie Anglade // @utstikkar // firstname.lastname@example.org // Echonest API // Musixmatch API
- Alexandre Passant // @terraces // email@example.com // Twilio API
- Anna Callahan // @jazztpt // firstname.lastname@example.org // iPhone Wizard
- "Matt Katz" // @mattkatz // valentunes@MoreLightMoreLight.com // Django/Python master
- Jeff Novich // @jeffnovich // email@example.com // Skreemr and (gulp) design
- Twom Deryckere // @twom // firstname.lastname@example.org // PHP/Backend
- Nate Aune // @natea // nate (at) djangozoom (dot) com // Django/Python developer
 About the hack
It starts with a missed Valentine card and ends with a not-so-lovely apology. We wanted to make it insanely easy to craft a playlist that will make your Valentine swoon.
Valentun.es lets you enter your Valentine's name, his or her specific interests, and unique phrases and descriptions. It then searches lyrics to discover music that uses those words, filters those songs by danceability and other taste factors, and then serves them up so you can listen and hand-pick the final playlist. You can select to get a unique URL that includes your message and the streaming playlist. Or Valentun.es can deliver the playlist to their cellphone. What better way to say "Be my Valentine!" than through a tinny cellphone speaker via AT&T. If your special someone can listen all the way through 5 songs without dropping, you know s/he's a keeper!
The iPhone app lets you be even more forgetful, so you can quickly create a Valentune on-the-go (presumably while shopping for flowers 5 minutes before making dinner reservations). Just like the web front end, the app lets you enter your Valentine's info, view and listen to possible tracks, and select the ones you want to package as a playlist.
 What APIs, tools or kit did you use?
- Musixmatch.com - for the lyrics search
- EchoNest.com - to select best songs from the initial bucket
- Skreemr.com - to find available MP3s
- Twilio - for phone delivery (duh)
- Django, Python, PostgreSQL (tastypie for the API)
- iPhone SDK (incl. ASIHTTPRequest, SBJSON)
Screencast of the iPhone app: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18249988/ValentunesiPhone.mov
iPhone app code: